Friday 1 March 2013

Mushroom Methi Curry


Mushroom Methi Curry
Methi is one of those greens I absolutely love. Although it is suppose to be bitter, there are only a very few instances when I found it bitter. I think it is down to how it is prepared. I absolutely love the aroma and flavour it adds to a dish. This time around I tried to make a slightly rich gravy and combined methi with mushrooms. I was such a delightful dish, I was hoping no one saw me licking the saucepan! I have added melon seeds to this dish in the past but in a rush and lack of concentration, did not cook them enough. So, try not to make that mistake else you will get bits of the seeds while chewing and that is not quite pleasant.  Here is the recipe…

1 pack mushrooms (I used btton mushrooms and halved them)
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon melon seeds or use poppy seeds soaked for about 10 minutes in hot water
4-5 cashew nuts
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 bunch methi leaves
Turmeric powder
Cooking oil or butter

Heat some oil and add the onions, ginger garlic paste and green chillies and fry until onions soften
 

Add the tomatoes, melon seeds, cashew nuts and some water and cook until all ingredients are well cooked, especially the seeds must have softened

Cool and grind this to paste

Heat the pan and add oil and the mushrooms and in a couple of minutes add the methi. Cook until methi is almost done and mushrooms soften

Add the ground paste, turmeric powder, chilly powder, cumin and coriander powder, salt to taste and some water and bring to boil. Simmer until desired consistency is achieved

Serve hot with rice or naan or and Indian bread

2 comments:

  1. This looks yummy.

    There is a wonderful event and a giveaway happening at my blog. Check the below link.
    http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/02/event-and-giveaway-announcement-only.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a droolworthy dish, cant ask more..fingerlicking curry.

    ReplyDelete