Sunday 4 November 2012

Jam Custard Biscuit (eggless)



Jam Custard Biscuit (eggless)
Why I like jam biscuit, well, I don’t know. I remember one of my milestone recipes was a wholewheat jam biscuit. It was slightly elaborate but very effective in getting down wholewheat down a toddler and adults alike. I have a box of custard powder sitting on my shelves and custard is not something my son likes eating. I have to figure out other ways of using it up and thought a biscuit would be a good idea. I googled a bit and came up with this combination of mine. We do not like it being overly ‘custardy’ so I used only about quarter cup of it. I added ground almonds as the combination of nutty flavour with jam, I thought, will be good. In the end, it all came out very well and my husband said it tasted like bakery biscuit i.e. baked by professional. On that good note, here is the recipe...
1 cup flour
100g butter, softened
¼ cup custard powder
¼ cup ground almonds
2 pinches baking powder
60g (1/2 cup) icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk, if needed
Jam of choice

Cream together the butter and the sugar

 Add the flour, ground almonds, custard powder, baking powder and if required add milk to make a soft dough. You just want everything to come together and no more. Do not knead the dough



Divide the dough into two parts and roll each into about 5mm thick disc and cut using suitable cookie cutter. Then press with your finger in the centre to make a crater and place on lined baking tray

Using a small spoon, put some jam in the crater and bake at 160degC for about 10-12 minutes, edges would brown


Transfer to cooling rack after resting it in the tray for five minutes or so. Store in air tight container




2 comments:

  1. Scrumptious,super cute biscuits..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely biscuits.I love Britannia's Jim Jam a lot and this looks very delicious.Will try it for sure.Nice work Veena :)

    ReplyDelete