Wednesday 7 November 2012

Eggless Coconut Macaroon



Eggless Coconut Macaroon
Coconut barfi is a popular south Indian sweet made for some festivals. I have a rather strange feeling for it. I like how the coconut juices just burst into the mouth for the first few bites but then as you chew, it almost dries out and becomes a bit boring. That is one of the reasons I don’t make coconut barfis. However, I thought an eggless macaroon would be a good idea and most recipes online are coconut varieties. I put my spin on it and the results were very good. I like the fact that I do not have to spend lot of time grating fresh coconut and use dessicaed coconut. I think it tasted best still warm from the oven. It can be prepared in no time, making it ideal for a quick indulgent snack or treat for sudden guests. Here is the recipe...

¾ cup dessicated coconut
¼ cup semolina
½ cup condensed milk
2-3 tablespoon milk
2-3 tablespoon nuts, chopped
¼ teaspoon cardamom powder

Mix together all ingredients to make a rather stiff batter which would just drop from a spoon




Leaving atleast an inch gap between each, drop a spoon of the mixture on a lined baking tray. Make sure you do not have any peaks, just flatten using a spoon. The peaks are likely to burn

Bake at 180degC for about 8-10 minutes, until the top turns golden brown
Allow to cool completely in the tray and then serve. Do not take it from the tray until fully cooled

1 comment: