Saturday 6 October 2012

Peas Masala



Peas Masala
The scene in my house around meal time has changed now. Earlier, my husband would be surprised by many things I make and I would normally decide the menu myself. Off late though, I cannot think much of what I want to make and more importantly I do not know what he fancies eating. I do hate wasting food so under strict orders he now tells me what he would like to eat and like in a restaurant, I tell him if I can make it or not. Anway, one evening his choice of side dish was peas masala, which is not particularly my favourite as I cannot just have peas alone, it needs to be with cauliflower or paneer or potato. I then decided to give the peas masala a twist and the result was the dish was polished off. Some may find this a touch sweet due to the peas and coconut milk combination but it worked for me. Here is a simple dish that can brighten a simple meal...
2 cups peas
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
2 dry red chillies
2 tablespoon coriander seeds
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder
Cooking oil
2 pinch garam masala
½ sachet creamed coconut or ½ cup coconut milk
Inch long ginger, chopped

Heat some oil and fry the onions, green chilly and ginger

Add the tomatoes once onions are soft and cook until tomatoes become mushy

Roast the coriander seeds and dry red chillies in a few drops of oil until aromatic. Cool and grind together with onion mixture to a fine paste

Boil the peas in a sauce pan until almost cooked

Add the ground mixture, add little water and bring to boil

Add some turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and simmer and add the coconut cream and simmer for about 5 minutes

Serve hot with rice or any bread



No comments:

Post a Comment