Tuesday 25 September 2012

Wholewheat Onion Crackers



Wholewheat Onion Crackers
Isn’t it always comforting to nibble on something crispy and crunchy? That’s probably why most such dishes are deep fried and are no good for us. Although I am not completely against deep frying because I am sure in a good few cases there is no substitute for it, I try to avoid it where possible. I came across savoury crackers recipe in a number of websites and wanted to try it. I was not entirely sure how it will turn out but still tried my own version and without doubt, it had to include whole wheat. I was told mine was a bit low in salt but I guess that depends on one’s taste. Anyway, here is a baked dish for you to nibble on...

1 onion, finely chopped
¾ cup wholewheat flour
¾ cup all purpose flour
Salt to taste
25g butter
¼ cup oil
2 green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
3 teaspoons sesame seeds
½ teaspoon chilly powder (optional)
½ teaspoon baking powder
Cold water, as required

Mix together all the ingredients except water to make a dough. Only add required amount of water to make a soft dough


Take small balls and roll it thin using rolling pin and place on lined baking tray



Bake in a preheated oven at 180degC for 20-30 minutes. Make sure the onions don’t burn so keep an eye after about 20 minutes.

Cool and serve. You can store it in an airtight container and mine lasted three days.

1 comment: