Tuesday 3 July 2012

Chocolate Cream Biscuit


Chocolate Cream Biscuit


I am quite sure Bourbon biscuit would have been popular among most growing children and many adults would have memories of opening up the biscuit, licking the cream first and then eating the rest of the biscuit. I had not really thought of making them at home but that was only until I came across a recipe on a book I had bought in India. I had put it in my to try list for ages but never got around to do it. Finally it saw daylight and I tried it with a bit of scepticism about how the cream will turn out. Well, it all turned out to be very good and it went down a treat – with adults and kid. I am not sure how well it will last in warm regions as the cream is primarily butter and wonder if it will melt (although I think the sugar will prevent this from happening). Here is how to make it...

250g flour (I used a mixture of all purpose and whole wheat flour)
125g butter/margarine
125g sugar
3 teaspoons coco powder
½ teaspoon soda bicarbonate

For cream:
25g butter
50g powdered sugar
½ teaspoon coco powder

Cream together the sugar and margarine/butter until combined


Sift together the flours, soda bicarbonate and coco powder

Add the sugar and make a soft dough. Try to avoid temptation to add milk or water, instead rest the dough for five minutes and it will become softer

Divide into portions and roll into about 2mm thick disc. Cut to desired shape and place on a lined baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180degC for 13-15 minutes

Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool completely

For the cream, bring together the butter, powdered sugar and coco powder and mix well

Put this on the centre of one biscuit and place another on top to sandwich the cream

Yum Yum!

1 comment: