Tuesday 10 April 2012

Crispy Cauliflower (Low Fat Cauliflower Fry)


Crispy Cauliflower


With a hope to keep cost and wastage down I have been buying frozen cauliflower for the last few weeks. However, when I did come across a rather low cost cauliflower at the Indian grocers, I could not resist the temptation to buy it despite my freezer stock still being available. And then came a dull evening when I felt like munching something, not unhealthy and also filling enough for me to have just fruits for dinner. I had been meaning to try a low fat version of cauliflower fry. It was a bit complicated preference I had that day as I did not want bajji like dish and neither did I want to add soda bicarb. So I decided to increase the quantity of crispness adding flours like rice flour and corn flour and also added a bit o foil to the batter so it does not turn out too dry. I really liked the dish and if all these healthy veggies can be served in such yummy and low fat form, I could easily have not just my five a day but also ten a day! Well, enough of my rant, here is the recipe for you to try for yourself.

¼ cup rice flour
¼ cup corn flour
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3-4 cups cauliflower florets
Turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon chilly powder
3 teaspoons cooking oil
Salt to taste

Mix corn flour, rice flour, all purpose flour, salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder, required water to make a thick batter like dosa batter and add two teaspoons oil and mix it

Add blanched cauliflower (I steamed it for 10 minutes, you could put it in boiled water for ten minutes) to this batter and mix so all of them get coated well

Put this on a lightly greased oven proof dish and bake at 200degC for 20 minutes, then give it a quick mix and put it in the oven for 10 minutes, ready to serve!

5 comments: