Monday 2 January 2012

Surprise Orange Muffin (Eggless)


Surprise Orange Muffin


If you are a regular reader of my blog, then you probably have read a number of times that I am working on my baking skills as it is new to me. I would classify myself as a beginner in baking and everytime I come across a beautiful recipe, be it a cake or a muffin or dessert, I usually think to myself that I should just try that recipe to the letter. Then I do gather the courage to get to the kitchen and grab all required ingredients and put them on the counter. Then I see the big portion of butter that the recipe calls for sitting on one side; a cup of sugar now begins to look like a mountain of sugar and the white flour is all the more white now. After all this reality hits me, I give up on the original recipe and end up with more of ‘my’ version of low fat recipe. I have heard quite a few people say that they do not realise how much sugar and butter goes into a cake unless you make one. As I say, I almost never manage to make a full fat version. If I have people over for a meal and I do chose to make a cake or something, I try to stick to my low fat version because most of the times I feel bad if I serve someone fatty food while I do not eat it myself. Having said that, it is beyond doubt that the taste has to be perfect if not, I will not serve it. Anyway, with all this background, I wanted to make a really quick cake to take to a family that had invited us for dashera. I wanted it to be different so thought I will have some jam filling. I was planning on getting a smaller cake tin but never got to it so had to change to cup cakes instead. That meant the fillings could go along with the batter and one could bite into the jam filling inside. I used fresh orange juice in the batter itself as the flavour complemented the jam. It had that citrus burst and felt so fresh. I have also made this with nutella filling and my family loved it as well. I really loved this recipe and it certainly is a keeper. Hope you like it too…

¾ cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoon water
¼ cup oil (I used sunflower oil)
Jam of your choice for filling (half to 1 teaspoon per muffin)

Mix all dry ingredients together

Add all wet ingredients to dry ones and mix until combined. The batter should be to pouring consistency

Fill half the muffin moulds with the batter and spoon some jam in the middle. Then cover with more batter and ensure you do not fill more than ¾ of the mould. Put the muffin moulds on a tray and gently tap the tray



Bake in a preheated oven at 180degC for 20-25 minutes

5 comments:

  1. Woww muffins with jam,would love to have some..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veena,
    I am a regular follower of your blog as you think just like me when it comes to food..making it healthy! so your recipes suits me well! I tried your orange muffin yday and they came out awesome!! I got 16 muffins as my muffin cup size is bigger than average. I have a couple of questions:
    1.How do I store this ? room temperature or refrigerator?
    2.What in the recipe helped in keeping it soft ?Orange Juice? Because usual eggless recipes will have vinegar or sour cream in it..I try to stay away from sour cream all the time so I was really surprised with this result without any of them especially BUTTER!
    Thanks,
    Mira

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Priya, thanks
    @SushMira, thanks for your nice comments. I normally store them at room temperature in an airtight box. I believe adding some ground almonds increases shelf life of baked products. I must say that I did not have to store this for longer than a day. To your second question, I normally bake eggless muffins, cakes and loaf only and have not had any problems with the softness so sometimes I really wonder why we need the egg in it. In this recipe, I think the acidity of the juice helped the baking powder result in super soft muffins despite not having vinegar. Please do keep visiting and giving feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for replying Veena..Glad to know that..I don't eat eggs unless I am getting starved to death..so none of my recipes use eggs.I have left my muffins in muffin pan covered by aluminium foil..I will transfer them to a box soon..as there are 16 muffins for just two people :-) my plan was to keep it for snack for a week.Hope it lasts.
    Also another question : your vegan fruity muffin has banana in it..do you think it will come out well without it ..Many egg less muffin recipes have Banana in it so again wondering if that is to make it soft..I am trying to understand all this so that I can just mix whatever I have and make my own muffin which is still soft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi SushMira,absolutely, i am getting better at baking trying to find what each ingredient does and ofcourse trying a number of recipes, so I understand your questions :) the banana is to make it soft as well as lend sweetness. usually half a banana is considered a substitute for an egg in baking. my suggestion would be to try substituting the banana with equivalent amount of apple butter so it is sweet and you could use ground flax seed to lend softness as it is also an egg substitute.

    ReplyDelete