Sunday 18 December 2011

Hariyali Chawal (Coriander Rice)


Hariyali Chawal


Making variety rice usually makes my job simpler and sometimes I chose very simple rice dish so that I can make a nice and spicy gravy on the side. I recently saw the Hariyali chawal recipe on Tarla Dalal’s website and thought it was simple yet packed with flavours. Also, I had two bunches of coriander leaves to use up so it was an ideal choice for our lunch. Also, coriander leaves are rich in vitamin C and as this recipe does not call for cooking the leaves, it keeps the heat sensitive vitamin C intact. Being winter, it is absolutely important to keep the immune system upto scratch and vitamin C is very important for that. It also has plenty of vitamin K and A. The latter helps prevent oral and lung cancer as it helps keep healthy mucus membranes. A simple recipe packed with so much goodness, the browned onions used as garnish added so much taste to the dish that I later thought I should have put more of it...

1 cup rice, rinsed and soaked for 20 minutes
4 cloves
3 cardamom pods
1 star anise
2-3 pieces of cinnamon
½ teaspoon black peppercorns
1 onion, finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
Cooking oil
½ onion, sliced

Heat some oil and add the cloves, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns

Once they get big and crackle, add onions and fry until soft

Add the drained rice and mix well.

Add required water and salt (I added 2 cups water for 1 cup rice),pressure cook for three whistles or how you would normally cook the rice

Fluff up the rice with fork so you do not break the grains and add the coriander leaves

Heat a kadai and add some oil and brown the sliced onion and use as garnish. You could do this at the very start to save some time and not having to use another kadai, however, I did not want any brownish colour passed to my rice so fried the onion before starting the side dish

Serve

1 comment: