Saturday 12 November 2011

Potato kadhi (Rajasthani Sabji)


Potato kadhi (Rajasthani Sabji)


Rajasthani sabji, as the hostess of the TV show called it, is pretty much potato kadhi. I am quite limited on what raita I can have and prefer making raitas with cooked vegetable. That way, this kadhi recipe appealed to me and I had boiled potato in my fridge so it made it even easier. I normally keep one or two boiled potatoes in the fridge so I can make some quick dishes. This went well with the corn methi pulav I made but I think it will go well with any other more spicy rice too. I do not know if rajasthani sabji is the right name, but I thought it will be because the hostess is rajasthani. Here is how I made it…

1 large potato, boiled, cut
1 teaspoon onion seeds (kalonji)
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cinnamon piece
2 cloves
1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon besan (chickpea flour)
Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 teapsoon dhaniya powder (coriander powder)
1 teaspoon jeera powder (cumin powder)
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Heat some oil in a kadai and add the cinnamon, cloves and mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add the cumin seeds and onion seeds and wait for cumin to brown

In the meantime mix the besan and yogurt without lumps

Add the yogurt mixture to the kadai and simmer

Add chilly powder and turmeric powder and cook on low flame

Once it just boils, add the cumin and coriander powder, salt and allow to boil

Add the potatoes and simmer a few more minutes so they absorb the flavours. Cook the whole dish on low flame for best results

Serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment