Thursday 10 November 2011

Corn Methi Pulav


Corn Methi Pulav


In an attempt to make methi more available to me, I am planning to grow some on my kitchen window sill. Scotland could get quite cold during the winter so I am not entirely sure whether I will succeed. Anyway, during a recent visit to the Indian grocery shop I managed to get fresh methi i.e. fenugreek leaves. With me not keeping too well but ambitiously buying all these veggies, first thing I wanted to do was pluck the leaves off the stalk so it is ready for use. Did that one Sunday and put the leaves in a zip lock cover. In the next couple of days I was looking for a very quick and simple, preferably one pot dish for packed lunch and came across corn methi pulav. Before I started blogging, I once made baby corn methi rice but I just did not record what spice mix I used (I ground my own mix). While I tried to figure that out, I made this rather simple, easy and quick rice. As a side dish I made a Rajasthani sabji that featured on the same show as this rice and will post that recipe soon.

1 cup basmati rice, soaked for 15-30 minutes
1 onion, sliced
1 cup chopped fenugreek leaves (methi)
1 cup sweet corn
1 piece cinnamon
2-3 cloves
2-3 cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
Turmeric powder
2-3 green chillies
Cooking oil
Salt to taste

Heat some oil in a pressure pan and add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf.

Once they ‘crackle’, add onions, green chillies and sauté until just soft

Add the fenugreek leaves, sweet corn and sauté until wilted

Add drained rice, turmeric powder and fry briefly

Add about two cups of water, salt and mix (try not to break the rice and that is why I use wooden ladle instead of metal) and pressure cook for three whistles

Mix and serve!

2 comments:

  1. Good to know about your blog such a nice and useful information from i am very inspired by visit here so hope you will be carry on these type blogs posting.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Calorie Counter Iphone

    ReplyDelete