Thursday 13 October 2011

Besan Payasam


Besan Payasam


I have always wanted to make custard at home. Somehow, I have not got around it yet and it is probably because deep down, I am not too keen to arrange a double boiler and stir the egg without scrambling it etc. But being an experimental cook, I will make it at some point. For now though, I ran into what I would call a lacto vegetarian custard. It is a very simple and light dessert. The raisins added a great taste and texture to an otherwise smooth dish. It can be made very quickly as well and can be served with a bowl of fruits too. Here is how I made it...

¼ cup besan
2 teaspoons ghee
2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
Few raisins
1 tablespoon ground almond
Few strands of saffron

Heat the ghee and fry some raisins until they puff up and keep it aside

In the same ghee, add the besan and roast until it is aromatic

Add milk and mix well so there are no lumps

When it boils, add sugar and some ground almonds. Simmer until it thickens and just before taking off the flame crush the saffron strands and add the same







Serve warm or cold with raisins added

You could add some cardamom along with the ground almonds if you like.

1 comment: