Saturday 24 September 2011

Ragi Choco-Blueberry Muffin


Ragi Choco-Blueberry Muffin


Ragi is one of my favourite millets because it has a hearty and earthy flavour associated with it. Some people may find it a bit strong and it could be dry it at times but with the right recipe, it would make a yummy dish. I always try to include some of this millet in our diet and especially in my wee one’s. Recently I came across a blogger friend of mine post a cake here made with ragi and it seemed nice. We are not real dessert people so it would be a struggle for me to finish off the cake. I then thought I could make muffins as I knew cake was feasible. My wee one and I whisked the ingredients together and made these muffins. He absolutely loved it and I tried it and honestly I liked it better than store bought chocolate muffins. It is not fatty or loaded with sugar so does not have to make one feel guilty and it also makes a wholesome breakfast. My husband, who is fond of the store/bakery bought choco muffin said the flavour, the texture and the rise was all similar to store bought but he thought it was not very sweet. I deliberately do not add lot of sugar to my kid’s dishes because I wuld rather that he develops a liking for less sweet treats just so I build good eating habits. He wouldn’t complain because I usually add blueberries or raisins or currants so it comes in every bite and keeps his taste buds satisfied. Anyway, here is the recipe...

1/3 cup ragi
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon coco powder
Handful of blueberries
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup milk
Pinch of salt


Mix all dry ingredients together

Add all wet ingredients including blueberries and make a batter to dropping consistency and pour in muffin moulds

Bake in a preheated oven at 180degC for 20-25 minutes

Serve

1 comment: