Thursday 11 August 2011

Coriander Chapatti


Coriander Chapatti


Stuffed parathas are a favourite of mine but it is a shame that my husband does not like them. The days that he plans to have dinner out with his team or something I try to make a paratha because it is simple and yummy and will not have to make a side dish and also because it has vegetables in it. Unlike the usual parathas, this is slightly different because for me, this cannot be a meal on its own and I certainly would need a side dish. However, depending on what meal you have this for, for example if you have it for breakfast, it will go well with yogurt. It is quite tasty as the coriander adds great flavour to it and the freshly ground coriander and cumin make it even more appealing. I saw this recipe on a television program and found it an interesting variation. Here is how I made it…

Chapatti dough
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Ginger, grated
Green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
2 tablespoon besan (chickpea flour)
Salt to taste
Chilly powder, as per taste
1 cup of coriander leaves (I chopped the stems fine and used them too)


Roast the coriander and cumin seeds until they start ‘dancing’ on the pan, cool and grind to powder. Some like it fine and some coarse, I did not too coarse. As the quantity was small, I used my mortar and pestle

Take a bowl and mix this powder with besan, chillies, ginger, chilly powder, coriander and salt. Sprinkle water and mix. When you take some of this mixture and press it in your fist, it should just hold together. Just add enough water to do so and not more.

Take lemon sized chapatti dough, roll into a chapatti. Place a small ball of the above mixture in the centre, wrap up and roll as chapatti again.

Cook both sides on a heated tava, just like chapatti and use oil or ghee if you want to

Serve hot with side dish or raita or just yogurt

1 comment: