Sunday 6 February 2011

Potato Podimas (Indian style Mashed Potato)


Potato Podimas (Indian style Mashed Potato)


Mashed potato as I understand is important and quite common among British food. I believe there are quite a few different ways you can prepare it. I have not had a chance to make the western style mash as in general it does not go very well with the rest of the Indian meal that we usually have. I do make an Indian style mashed potato that goes well with sambar rice, rasam rice or even curd rice. I picked this recipe from my mother-in-law and my husband likes it. I must say that I was not quite convinced with the name though as podimas usually refers to something with spice powder but in this dish there are almost no such powders. Anyway, I guess what matters is that it tastes good and I would say that it would be a different kind of potato mash that westerner must try as well.

4 potatoes, peeled and boiled well
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 sprig curry leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon grated or finely chopped ginger
3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grated coconut or desiccated coconut
Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Cooking oil
Juice of one lime

Heat some oil in a wok/skillet and add the mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add the curry leaves, asafoetida, chillies and ginger and fry for couple of minutes

Mash the potatoes and add to the skillet and add required amount of salt

Cook for 3-4 minutes and add the coconut and cook for couple of minutes

Once you turn the flame off, add the lime juice and mix well and serve!

1 comment:

  1. Hai,
    You have done a very good job. It is very simple and Very Good in taste. Children like it very much.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete