Saturday 29 January 2011

Wholewheat Idlis (Wheat Rava Idlis)


Wholewheat Idlis (Wheat Rava Idlis)


My husband was not going to join for dinner one of the days this week and that meant I will have to think of a recipe for just me and maybe for my wee one to have a bite. I wanted to experiment wholewheat idlis as I had not written down how I made it the last time I did. This idli is not quite similar to the regular idli and I fancied an idli slightly spiced so that I could get away without making a chutney or any other side dish. For this reason, I decided to keep the batter a bit coarse, similar to kanchipuram idli and also use freshly grated ginger and green chillies to spice up. The curry leaves add a wonderful flavourful in these steamed idlis. I ended up eating it with egg curry (am yet to post this recipe, will do so shortly) and it was great. Idlis make such a wonderful breakfast although I have almost given up making cooked breakfast.

¼ cup urd dal
¾ cup wheat rava (broken wheat)
1 teapsoon fenugreek seeds
1 inch ginger, grated
1 sprig curry leaves
1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon channa dal
Salt to taste
Less than a teaspoon cooking oil

Wash and soak urd dal and fenugreek seeds for atleast 3 hours. It would be even better if you soak them overnight

Grind the urd dal and fenugreek seeds to smooth consistency. In the meantime, rinse the wheat rava, then add it to ground urd dal and add required salt and pulse the ‘mixie’. If you rather that the batter be smooth like regular idli, you could grind the wheat rava dry and then add it to the ground urd. Allow this to ferment overnight.

Heat some oil and add mustard seeds and channa dal, once the seeds crackle, add it to the batter along with ginger and curry leaves

Pour the batter in the idli mould and ensure you leave some room for the idli to rise. Steam for about 15 minutes and serve with a chutney!

I could not take many pictures as I was in real hurry, maybe next time. You could also add grated carrot to enhance the nutritional value.

This would be the first time I would be sending an entry to an event and this goes to wholewheat breakfast even  http://litebite.in/event-wwc/ hosted by Sanjeeta.

1 comment:

  1. The Idlies look very healthy and delicious! Thanks for sharing it on WWC.

    ReplyDelete