Friday 28 January 2011

Mushroom Pulav (Mushroom Rice)


Mushroom Pulav (Mushroom Rice)


For some reason I seem to be trying a few recipes from TV shows. It is definitely much easier to look at a video and do the dish myself than read and book and try it. Anyway, this recipe was on a show by a popular south Indian chef, Damodaran. I find his recipes quite interesting and this one was very simple as well. As I am usually inclined towards adding many vegetables to anything I make, I had to resist my urge to add a bunch of veggies to this rice and instead thought I will stick to mushroom and add the vegetables to a nice side dish. Here is the recipe...

1 ½ cups rice
2 cups closed cup mushrooms, quartered
1 handful of mint leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 handful of coriander leaves, chopped
3 green chillies, slit
1 onion, halved and sliced
2 tablespoons yogurt (use more if the yogurt is not very thick)
Salt to taste
Whole spices like bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods can be used but I chose not to use them.
Cooking oil

Rinse the rice, drain and keep aside
Heat some oil in a pressure pan and add the whole spices (if using), onion, mint leaves, coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste and green chillies

Once the onions are almost done, add the mushrooms and fry briefly and add yogurt and stir



Add the drained rice and fry until it just begins to change colour

Add required amount of water (I use equal portions of water and rice) depending on the quality of rice you use, add required salt and pressure cook until three whistles.

Serve hot with a nice gravy

No comments:

Post a Comment