Friday 7 January 2011

Maida Roti (Naan Style Bread)


Maida Roti (Naan Style Bread)


There are probably a few things I need to explain about the name of this recipe. Maida is nothing but the plain flour aka all purpose flour. I saw this recipe on a TV show and found it quite interesting. It was being presented as an easy naan bread recipe. However, I was a bit unsure if this would compare with the naan that we are used to in restaurants. To me, the name does not really matter and wanted to test the recipe. I did try and I loved it. It was a nice change from the usual roti although not particularly healthy as it is made with refined flour. As I know the recipe works, I am planning to come up with a more healthy version like by using some other flour. Anyway, I would not say it was far from what a naan would taste like especially when compared to the yeast based recipes we typically come across for naan. I would call this a hybrid between naan and roti and definitely good. The other plus point to this recipe is that it remains soft even long after it was prepared. Here you go...

1 cup all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
Salt to taste
Yogurt to make the dough (quantity would depend on how thick your yogurt is)
Cooking oil
Mix the flour, baking powder and salt and add yogurt to make a soft dough. Knead well, add about a teaspoon oil to your hand and knead. Rest the dough for 1-2 hours


 Make lemon sized balls out of the dough and roll them like chapattis. Put it on a hot tava and cook in medium flame. Once the bottom side starts ‘bubbling’, flip side and once it starts rising, flip again and press it lightly so it rises well.






Add butter or cooking oil or nothing on top and serve with a nice gravy!



2 comments:

  1. the Naan looks yum and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out to be amazingly awsom!!!

    ReplyDelete