Saturday 1 January 2011

Hara Bhara Aloo (Potato in Yummy Green Sauce)



Hara Bhara Aloo (Potato in Yummy Green Sauce)


Including leafy green vegetables, darker the better, is very good for health especially to maintain the health of the gut. I saw a recipe for green rice on a website and I thought I will give it a shot. Main reason I found it interesting was that it used rocket or arugula. That was almost the first time Istumbled upon a recipe in which rocket was cooked. As I have said earlier I am not a salad person but would love to include these goodies in our diet. I bought a bag of rocket, or so I thought. Well, I now realise that rocket is different from wild rocket. I had bought the latter and this is suppose to belong to the mustard family and suppose to have a stronger peppery flavour. I then started off the recipe to make the green rice but I had a hunch (or fear) that it will not be to my taste. I then changed course and made a side dish out of it. That is the reason why the photos may not be perfect, but certainly can be followed. You can really use any green leafy vegetable of your choice. Here is how I did it...

1 red onion, chopped
1 bag (about 70gm) of wild rocket
2 handful of spinach
1 handful of coriander (remove stalks if you prefer, I keep them for their nutrition and lack of time)
3 green chillies
1 inch piece ginger, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
4 medium potatoes, cubed and boiled
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon chilly powder
Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Heat a teaspoon oil in a skillet and fry the onions until they change colour. Add the green leaves, ginger and chillies. As I started off as green rice, I had made a rough paste of the greens, chillies and ginger, you could do the same if you like, else chop them.

Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they become mushy and all leaves are cooked

Cool this and grind to a paste adding required water

Bring back to the skillet and add all the spice powders specified along with salt, add little water

When the mixture begins to boil, add the potatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes so potatoes absorb the flavour. Add some water if needed and turn off flame once desired consistency is acheived.

Heat some oil in a small skillet and add cumin seeds. Once they change colour to dark brown, add it to the potato greens mixture and serve with rice or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment