Sunday 16 January 2011

Ghee Rice


Ghee Rice


It was a long day at the hospital with the wee one and by the time we returned I was exhausted with the bug myself. That does not mean we should starve and got cracking with dinner. I had some left over gravies in the refrigerator and wanted to finish them up. I had no energy to make rotis etc and decided a simple rice may do the trick. Although I do not like having rice for dinner, it was better than starving. I had recently seen a ghee rice recipe posted by a fellow blogger and was always a fan of ghee rice since the time I tasted it when a friend of mine brought it in college. As always, I was in a rush to get the meal done and no time to browse recipes. Just added things that may suit my husband and took a risk with cashew nuts. I wanted to add some raisins as well but that would be taking it too far. So here is a really quick and easy ghee rice recipe...

1 cup rice, cooked in such a way that grains are separate
2 tablespoons ghee (you could be more lavish)
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, roasted and coarsely ground
3-5 dry red chillies, broken
10 cashew nuts (again your preference)
1 red onion, chopped
Salt to taste

Heat the ghee in a wok and add the cumin seeds. Once it browns, add the dry red chillies, onion, cashew nuts and salt and cook on medium flame or lower so the cashews do not char

Once the onion is cooked, add the ground coriander seed powder and then mix the rice



Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with a nice gravy.

Thankfuly my husband really liked the rice and enjoyed this real quick meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment