Thursday 13 January 2011

Apple Chocolate Chip Muffin (reduced fat)


Apple Chocolate Chip Muffin (reduced fat)


Remember the banana chocolate muffin, that too with a chocolate coating on top, I posted not so long ago? Well, my husband liked it so much that he fancied it on a Sunday afternoon. I had just woken up from a nap and tried to do it in ten minutes. Unfortunately I did not have the chocolate bar to do the coating and follow my own recipe to the letter. I must say he was disappointed so I stocked some chocolate for baking and also some chocolate chips during my next shopping. Honestly, I thought chocolate chips will help me get away without having to grate the chocolate but this recipe made me realise that it makes a difference between the chips and grated chocolate. This recipe is relatively low fat. I say so because it uses far less butter than I would have normally used as I used apple butter instead. Here is how I made apple butter. As most of the sweetness came from the apple and it has much less fat, it makes a healthy snack in a good few ways. You can make about 9 muffins with the below mentioned recipe

¼ cup all purpose flour
½ cup oatmeal
1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped finely
2-3 tablespoon chocolate chips (increase or decrease based on preference)
1 tablespoon butter
4-5 tablespoon milk (may need more or less)
4 teaspoons sugar
3-4 tablespoons apple butter
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Combine the flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and butter together, add the apple butter, milk and combine

Add the chocolate chips and chopped apple and mix. The batter should just drop when spooned, add more milk if needed to acgeive this consistency.


Spoon batter into muffin moulds. Fill moulds to 2/3rd as the muffins will rise. Grease the moulds prior to putting the batter as this recipe does not have enough butter in it to come clean by itself. I used oil to grease the moulds.



Bake in a preheated oven at 200degC for 15-20 minutes. When you pierce a fork and it comes out clean, it is done.



I made the muffins extra appealing by coating it with melted chocolate but trust me, it is just great by itself and you can cut those calories out.

No comments:

Post a Comment