Thursday 13 January 2011

Apple Butter


Apple Butter


I happened read in a few places about how apple butter can be used to replace butter in some baked dishes. I would not cut out the butter completely but would rather substitute some portion of it with a low fat alternative. Usually apple butter recipe contains apple cider or some use apple juice. As I did not have either at home, I went for just water. My intent was to use it in baked dishes so I did not sweeten it or add any spices. If you would like to use it as a spread then you could add some sugar and spices like nutmeg, cinnamon etc. Am sure it would be a great addition to porridge. My apple butter recipe is very similar to how you would prepare apple for a baby. However, it does the job of replacing most of the butter. I have read that it keeps well in the fridge for a week or two but I am hoping to finish it off sooner.

6 apples, cored, peeled and chopped
¼ cup water

Add water to the chopped apples and cook covered in a saucepan. Cook until apple becomes soft.

Using a blender just pulse the apple. Do not blend too well as it will become like puree.


No comments:

Post a Comment