Wednesday 19 January 2011

Amras Malai Aloo (Creamy Mango Potato Curry)


Amras Malai Aloo (Creamy Mango Potato Curry)

Sometimes I read some recipes and wonder what the output will be like. I struggle to imagine at times as some of the ingredients are probably untraditional in my kitchen. One such recipe I came across quite recently was the Amras ke Malai Aloo by Sanjeev Kapoor. It was different in two ways. Firstly, it used mango pulp and I am used to having milkshake or mango ‘pachadi’ or just by itself and do not usually use it in my cooking. Secondly it used yogurt to make the best part of the gravy. I usually refrain from using yogurt because sometimes it breaks and resulting consistency is not good and using tomatoes is less fatty and more beneficial to health. Coming from a southern state in India, I found the mangoes I get at the supermarket not even suitable to be called mangoes. For this recipe however, I wanted to give it a shot. I adapted the original recipe to suit my taste, pantry and cooking and preparation times. Original recipe says you should deep fry the baby potatoes but I chose to roast them in the oven and used bigger potatoes. The result was great and the dish was of restaurant quality. Here is how I did it…


5-8 medium sized potatoes
1 onion (used white to keep the colour light), ground to fine paste
1/3 cup ripe mango pulp
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
2-3 pinches of black cumin or regular cumin seeds
1 teapsoon garam masala
1 teaspoon chilly powder
2 green chillies, slit
¾ cup yogurt
1 teaspoon kasoori methi
3 cloves
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Wash the potatoes and prick them a number of times with a fork and rub about a teaspoon of oil. Roast in an oven at 220degC for 30-40 minutes (cooking time varies oven to oven and also according to size of the potatoes)

Heat some oil and add cinnamon stick, cardamom, clove and cumin. Once cumin starts changing colour, add onion paste, green chillies and ginger garlic paste

Once the onion paste is well cooked, add whisked yogurt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and cook on low flame until the oil separates from the yogurt mixture

Add ¼ cup water and once it boils, add the mango pulp and garam masala powder and kasoori methi. Add more water if you like, I could have done with more as well but that is entirely upto you.

Once it boils, add the potatoes. I cut them into half to make it easier to eat and also so the flavours sink in better.

Take off the flame and add required salt and mix. Serve hot with rice or rotis or any bread

1 comment: