Tuesday 28 December 2010

Chocolate Banana Muffin (eggless)


Chocolate Banana Muffin

It is the holiday season and although the atmosphere at home is certainly not festive, it is holiday anyway. Although we do not celebrate Christmas I thought it may be a good idea to do something that seems a bit festive so my son can have nice memories of this period of the year as he grows up. I have been watching foodnetwork channel often and figured baking would be the first step towards bringing the festive atmosphere although it more or less ended up being the only step this year. I do realise that sometimes we can indulge in some empty calories but somehow I struggle to come to terms with not having anything healthy in something that we put in our mouth. That’s why I decided to keep the muffins not too sweet and also added some currants and may add some more dried fruits next time. Rather than make it just with plain flour I added bit of oatmeal to increase the fibre content. To make it more suitable for adult palate I gave a coating of chocolate on top and kept some uncoated for my wee one. My husband loved it so I can safely say it was a success.

¼ cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
¼ cup sugar
2 ripe bananas
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
100gm butter
½ cup milk
Handful of currants or raisins or dry fruit of your choice
75 gm grated chocolate
For the chocolate coating, another 75 gm chocolate

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and add the oatmeal and sugar

Add mashed bananas, grated chocolate, currants, melted butter and milk and combine preferably using a spatula. Mix only until everything is well combined and do not overdo. Add more milk if needed so batter comes to spooning consistency.

Put in muffin moulds and bake at 160degC for 20 minutes. To check if they are done insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, that’s it.


For the chocolate coating, melt the chocolate as per package instructions and spoon on the muffin. Serve!

Never fill the muffin moulds to the top, upto 2/3rd is enough as they will rise in the oven

No comments:

Post a Comment