Friday 10 September 2010

Coriander Chutney (Cilantro chutney/Kothamalli chutney)

Coriander chutney


Coriander Chutney from Tastefullyveggie


One of my friends who actively follows my blog was looking for a coriander chutney recipe like one she has tasted in an Andhra shop in USA. I was delighted that she had asked me and was on the job very soon. The key thing was that it had some sour ingredient in it. As it is and Andhra shop, I wonder if it is gongura (sour greens). As I cannot get it here, I had to try with available ingredients. This was my second experiment; the first one came out more like ‘thogayal’ which I have always enjoyed since childhood. I will post that recipe later, for now it is my chutney recipe. I realised I may never get to replicate that Andhra shop chutney as I have not tasted it myself. However, this recipe came out quite well and is already appearing frequently on our menu.

1-2 tomatoes
Generous handful coriander, chop if using stems as well
½ to 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
3 green chillies
1 teaspoon chilly powder (optional)
Salt to taste
Less than teaspoon cooking oil
Asafoetida
Turmeric powder

In a saucepan add oil, chopped tomatoes, asafoetida, green chillies and turmeric powder. Cook until the tomatoes are pulpy and allow to cool. Add chilly powder, if using, when tomato is almost cooked.

Put the coriander, tamarind paste, pulped tomato and salt and grind to paste

Serve with dosa, idli or upma. You can use it as a spread in your sandwich too.

I had tempered the tomatoes with mustard seeds and when I did it the first time, I added raw chillies. Next time I found it better to add the chillies to the tomatoes. If you wish, you could squeeze some lime juice to make it more tangy.

No comments:

Post a Comment