Monday 12 July 2010

Easy Tomato Egg Drop Soup


Food blogger I may be but I have these days when I cannot be bothered cooking. That happens usually when I am exhausted or am thinking deeply about something or sometimes just lazy. Although, it is hard to be lazy and sit back when you have a toddler around. I did have such a day yesterday where we had great South Indian meal at a friend’s place for lunch and I just could not bother cooking in the night. Human body does not care how much you stuffed during a meal but just begins to growl in 4-6 hours again. My husband and I were trying to get something on our plate at ten in the night. I chose the lazy route – heat up frozen paratha and my husband made himself a plate of Maggi noodles and a surprise. It was tomato egg drop soup. It was such a simple recipe and he almost did it when his magi noodles was cooking. I should mention that myhusband does notconsider himself a good cook although I thoroughly love certain dishes he makes. He does saythat as far as kitchen goes, he is like an artist who will paint at their own will once a few months and not the daily cook. Anyway, this recipe would be great when you barely have any time but have to fill your stomach with good food. Also, I would imagine it could be a nice snack when you just come back from work so you can get some energy to cook yourself a dinner. It is so simple that I do not even have step by step photos! Here is my husband’s recipe and quantities serve one…


2 tomatoes finely chopped
1 green chilly finely chopped
1 egg, you could beat with fork
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon five spice powder

Take about 1 1/2 cups water and add the tomatoes and green chillies

Once the tomatoes are well cooked (say boil them for 10 minutes), add the five spice powder and salt

Boil for 2 minutes and add the egg and stir so the egg breaks up and gets cooked. Boil until egg appears done

Serve hot with black pepper powder if chilly is not very hot.

If you fancy, you could add spring onions along with the tomatoes, we didn't as we had none then.

No comments:

Post a Comment