Friday 16 April 2010

Chicken Khurma/Quorn Khurma


Quorn Khurma
Like any typical Brahmin girl, I have never tasted non-vegetarian food before and do not intend to either. My husband and brother however feel it is too much hassle to get good vegetarian food when they travel and hence are more adaptive, if I can say. I believe in not harming animals and hence would like to bring my son up that way. I was told that when babies/children eat with their peers they feel bad if their food looks different from others. So for this reason Quorn gets used to give vegetarian and non-vegetarian food the same look. I should say I was not disappointed at all when I saw it myself. I had no idea what Quorn was but was certain that I will try it once. Google came handy and here is a summary of what I gathered about Quorn.
Quorn is actually a trademark name for products made out of mycoprotein. Mycoprotein is protein from fungi and in the case of Quorn, it is from a fungi called Fusarium. The fungus is suppose to belong to the same family as mushrooms. The products are made with this protein and egg whites and flavourings. Products made from this protein have a texture similar to animal muscle due to similar cell structure. It is a low fat source of protein and dietary fibre. It is suppose to satisfy hunger even with fewer calories and that should be good for people who are weight conscious. Interestingly Quorn products come in different form like mince, fillets, chicken pieces etc. I thought I will try the chicken style pieces to start with and ambitiously bought it at Tesco. It is said that some people may be allergic to Quorn products just like to any other protein and also that it contains gluten.
This was one ingredient that I was absolutely unsure of. Most recipes online just said cook it like other meat as they are typically eaten as a meat substitute by non-vegetarians. I then wrote to the Quorn company to get an idea so I ensure it is fully cooked. They were prompt in replying with lots of advise on how to cook it. I then came up with my own combo and here it is...
1 packet chicken style Quorn pieces
2 red onions finely chopped (depending on size)
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
3 green chillies finely chopped
1 cup tomato puree
3 pinches turmeric powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
½ teaspoon coriander seed powder (dhaniya powder)
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
1 bay leaf
½ litre vegetable stock
5oz cream or 1 cup yogurt
Handful of coriander leaves
Salt to taste
2-3 teaspoons cooking oil
Fry cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, turmeric powder, onions, garlic and chillies in about a teaspoon of oil and once onions are soft, add the Quorn pieces and a teaspoon of oil. Cook for about 10 minutes in medium flame stirring occasionally. The Quorn pieces will begin to soften. Now add the stock (you could use water instead), tomato puree, cumin and coriander powders and garam masala. Allow the mixture to simmer for a good 30 minutes or so and reduce. Add the coriander leaves and cook for a couple of minutes. In low heat, stir in the cream (I used soured cream). If using yogurt, stir in 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove from heat and season. If using stock, remember that it contains salt and adjust salt accordingly.
We had this with chapatti and my husband said it tastes a lot like chicken !! Planning to try the mince and fillets at some point but until then, enjoy some vegetarian meat !!

No comments:

Post a Comment